Québec Winter Carnival
The World’s Largest Winter Carnival!
From January 30 to February 15, 2015, come experience the world's largest winter carnivals in beautiful Québec City. Every year, thousands of visitors flock to the Québec Winter Carnival to enjoy a host of activities for all ages, including snow bath, night parades, snow slides, giant foosball, snow sculptures, shows, sleigh rides, and skating. The Carnival is a unique winter experience you won't want to miss!
The Québec Winter Carnival has been a magical part of winter since 1955. Here are some of its most traditional activities:
International Snow Sculpture Competition
Every year, sculptors from across Canada and around the world compete to create works of art from giant blocks of snow. These sculptures transform the Plains of Abraham into a wonderful outdoor museum.
Young and old alike get to the snow-covered streets to admire a parade of colorful decorated floats and zany characters dancing to lively music. The last float of the two night parades features the star of the Carnival—Bonhomme himself!
Brave souls clothed in nothing more than their bathing suits join Bonhomme to frolic in the snow!
Ice Canoe Race
Ice canoe racing is an extreme competitive sport where teams make multiple crossings of the frigid waters of the St. Lawrence River.
New in 2014
The Québec Winter Carnival offers something fresh every year! Here’s what’s new for 2014:
- The Duchesses are back! The Queen of the Carnival will be crowned during the Opening Night Show.
- Many activities will include a VIP option, including the Night Parades and the Ice Canoe Race.
- The Battle of the Dukes: The world's biggest snowball fight.
- In addition to the Plains of Abraham and Place de l’Assemblée-Nationale, a number of streets will join in the celebrations, spreading the Carnival spirit through the whole city.
- The Snowcross Grand Prix race is part of the world’s biggest snowmobiling championships, held by the Canadian Snowcross Racing Association.
- Show your Carnival effigy to enjoy discounts at certain businesses along Carnival-themed streets.
- The Ice Canoe Race experience will be even better thanks to giant screens and other on-site activities.
- An all-new look inspired by the world of Peter Pan is sure to delight kids on the Plains of Abraham.
Sites to Discover
The Plains of Abraham: A Gigantic Playground for the Whole Family
See the Plains of Abraham turn into an immense playground! Carnival-goers of all ages will be treated to a host of shows and activities: snow and ice tobogganing, ice fishing, dogsled rides, snow sculptures, an ice bar, jacuzzis, a Ferris wheel, a sugar shack, bumber cars, and more.The little ones will love the kids zone featuring wacky mascots.
Place de l’Assemblée-Nationale: Bonhomme’s Ice Palace!
Bonhomme Carnaval symbolizes the spirit of fun that is synonymous with this great winter celebration. Every year, an Ice Palace is built for him that serves as a focal point for several Carnival activities. Québec City residents are always excited to see the work start on Bonhomme’s palace! If you’re looking to meet the big guy himself, this is your best chance. You can admire an amazing replica of Bonhomme that seems to change depending on your vantage point.